Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Wordy Post

So I've been trying to think of what to post today.

The story of how Jaren asked for my number? No... not finished yet.

The baby shower invitations I made? No, I'll save that for tomorrow.

Then I read Jo's post about words and thought I would just talk. Whether you listen or not, it's okay.

Today I went to Idaho Falls to get some shopping done and I took my sister, Lindsey with me. I know a few things will happen whenever I am with her.

I'll scream.

I'll laugh.

I'll hit her (not hard) because she wouldn't stop touching me.

I'll get exasperated

I'll be very happy even though moments before I was frustrated

I love spending time with her. It's never boring. She is so funny and fun to be around. I often wonder what it would be like to have me for an older sister. I try to listen, but I usually want to fix her problems. It's always been that way. When we were younger and we were in elementary school I was very very protective. I was in 6th grade and she was in 3rd. There was a girl that was very mean to her and she would come home crying. I would get SO mad I wrote this girl a litter threatening her and had lindsey give it to her. I wish I could see what that letter said. I also remember coming outside when I would see neighbor kids being mean to her. I would yell at them and threaten them and tell them that if they didn't leave her alone I'd beat them up. I was a scrony little girl, too. But it worked. She would get so mad at me for doing that. Because then, you know, they would tell her she couldn't deal with her own problems. But I couldn't HELP myself.

Then I remember the times that I was mean to her so she would leave me and my friends alone. She would cry and I felt horrible. I would try to apologize and she would scream at me that she didn't care. That happened often.

It took us a LONG time to become really good friends. She used to be so annoying and drive me crazy. It wasn't until I was in high school and we were the last two kids at home that we started to get along a bit better. I was a senior when she was a freshman. Even then I didn't take her with me to parties and activities - I regret that.

I went to college and we hardly talked. My dad would get upset at both of us for not calling and talking to each other, but what did we have to talk about? We were living two different lives and were two completely separate people. And we would both give each other a hard time for not calling the other, but we were both guilty.

Three years later she graduated and came here to Rexburg to school. I was so excited. I was over at her apartment almost every day and we were exercising and hanging out. It was a lot of fun. I felt like I was getting to know her a lot better. We were building a friendship. She didn't stay for the summer semester, she went to Oregon and Boise. I didn't realize then how much I had come to depend on her company.

I would cry (birth control really was making me SUPER emotional) because I was lonley. I felt like I had lost my only friend. I don't think she realizes how much I missed her. She came back in July and I have been so happy to have her back.

As much as we get on each others nerves I don't think either of us would trade the other for another. I hope she will always be able to come to me with anything, knowing I am free of judgment. I need to learn to shut my trap and just listen. I am not looking forward to the day when she leaves, which is why I want her to marry a local farmer so she can't leave! (like I can't :) It would be nice to have babies together and have our kids grow up with each other.

I started this post not knowing what to talk about, but I see I just wanted to talk about my only sister (I have 3 sister in laws that I think are great). I love her and am really enjoying the memories we are building.

Mommies that have little girls who fight and seem to hate each other... don't worry, they will grow up and love each other and come to appreciate each other. We are living proof.
This was taken a few weeks ago on Lindsey's 20th birthday. I can't believe she's 20! It's weird to think that when I turned 20 I was in Park City and drove 4 hours home on my birthday because I wanted to be with Jaren. And that's when I thought I didn't like him :) (that story will come in time)
I made these. I tried to take Vicki's cupcake idea (you'll have to go to that link and watch the amazing slide show of her daughter's birthday to see the cupcakes I'm talking about), but instead of making lady bugs I just cut out letters. I didn't have enough cupcakes to spell out, "Happy Birthday Lindsey!" so it turned out, "Lindsey Is 20!" With a swirly. I am pretty sure they were YUMMY (oh wait.. i might have had one while frosting them. Might have. So I might know.)

29 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Your sister is so cute, and definitely looks like you.

Dads(2) said...

CUTE sister! You're both gorgeous!

rychelle said...

i always wanted a sister, but little brothers are pretty great too!

Jo said...

I love your sister Lindsey too! I was I was half as confident at her age. I have no doubt, whatever she decides to do, she will do well. You two are lucky to have each other.

Lee said...

You guys are adorable, and so are those cupcakes! Jeese I want cupcakes now.
Reminds me, I should make a microwave cake right now. They're great comfort food.

I wish I had a sister that I'd grown up with. Being a ... kind of only child is not as fun as what you guys must have!

Cajoh said...

I had an older sister who teased me all the time. It wasn't until she was in college and I was in high school before we got along (I guess I had to grow up first). My guess is that the same thing is true with you and your sister in that you both had to go through life on your own before you could become great siblings together.

b. said...

I love sisters.

You two are very lucky and very cute!

I love this kind of post!

Shauna said...

Sisterhood is the BEST! ♥ the pictures! Hope you are having an awesome weekend :)

Erin said...

My sister and I are three years apart. It is so fun to have a sister, especially now that we are grownups. Back when we were fighting over clothes, it wasn't so fun. :)

*MARY* said...

What a sweet post, I wish I had a little sister :(

Did those cupcakes have beans in them?

Whitney R said...

Rychelle - I have 3 big brothers, I always wondered what it would be like to have a little brother.

Jo - thanks, I think so too.

Lee - We can be sisters if you'd like :)

Cajoh - I think you might be right

Brenda - I'm glad you enjoyed it

Erin - haha, fighting over clothes... I would get SO mad when she'd wear my shirts and "stretch them out" but I couldn't fit in her jeans if I tried so I got yelled at, too

Mary - I hadn't discovered the bean secret then. BUT, I can be your little sister! I have 3 SIL's, but I've always wanted an older one.

Katie said...

My sister and I were totally the same. We would fight so much, then when she was a freshman and I was a senior in high school, it got tons better for some reason. Maybe we both needed to grow up some. Now we are great friends, and we talk all of the time. Fun post, and a great picture of the two of you.

Kayleigh said...

You know, it's so good to know that eventually, you grow close to your sister. I have a sister who's only like 2 1/2 years younger than me, and for some reason, I just have never been super close to her. Kind of like your situation. I just keep hoping and hoping that one day, it will happen, but it hasn't yet. It's nice to know that maybe it's close. :)

Wendyburd1 said...

Okay LOVE my sisters and 2 of my closest friends...but we still CAN fight like cats and dogs...maybe that makes us SUPER tight, LOL!

Your sister is SO cute, you guys have the same chin!! I often wonder what it is like to have a big sister...you don't get how it feels BEING the big sister!!

Jillene said...

Aaaawwww--how sweet! YOu r sister is ADORABLE just like you!! I am glad that I got to meet you both!! This post gives me hope for my girls!!

Ashley Outnumbered said...

Geez! You're family sure makes pretty girls. What about them boys? I bet they're hot! :)

I have a little bro (story on him to come later) and a half sis and half bro in Texas (they are much younger). Wish I knew what it was like to be that close to a sibling.

Teresa Jordan said...

When my sisters and I would fight growing up, my mom would always tell us that we would regret it and that one day we would be best friends. She was right.
I hope Lindsey had a good birthday. She is the cutest girl! Does Jaren have a brother?
True story: My little sister married my husband's little brother after he got home from his mission. She's my sister AND my sister-in-law.

Anonymous said...

Sisters are great! Love my sister!

You two are so BEAUTIFUL!!!!How fun and a Happy 20th Birthday to Lindsey:)

Strawberry Shortcake said...

I wish I had a sister. I watch my girls and am just slightly jealous of their relationship. Of course, not so jealous when they fight, but so happy that they get along (I am sure it won't last, but for right now it is a beautiful thing). I am so glad you have your cute sister around. They seem fun :)

Anonymous said...

Great post.

I've always wanted a sister. I had one very close friend, who also didn't have sisters, and we often have though of each other as filling that void.

We've just moved by my husband's brother and his family, and I adore this sister-in-law. Having brothers for husbands, we instantly have a lot in common. It's been fun to get to know each other better.

Lindsey said...

AWE WHITNERD!!!! thank you so much this made my day!!! i wanted to cry while i was reading this!! i am very happy i have you for a sister!! even though sometimes you drive me crazy which i know i drive you crazy to i still love you!!! thank you for everything you do for me and for loving me no matter what!! I LOVE YOU!!

Kristal said...

Lucky you! I always wanted a sister. You two are so cute!

Brigitte said...

awww... how sweet! I love this "wordy" post! This totally inspires me to just sit down and WRITE something.

But that is cool you two have grown up to be such good friends. My older sister and I have never gotten along, still don't. And my little sister is ELEVEN years younger than me. We are friends, but in totally different stages in life. I want to have my kids close together so they can be friends. (totally rambling here...)

So did I mention she's gorgeous too! good lookin family! :)

Unknown said...

Your sister was such a sweetie, you guys both are. Just wait, once she gets hitched and the field is a little more even you will be best friends. I love having my sisters around to help me through my days!

Christa said...

I don't have a sister and I've always wondered what it would be like to have one. This was very nice.

Victoria Elder said...

OoOh this made me want a sister I actually knew!

Sara Ann said...

That is so sweet:) I have a sister who is 4 years older than me and it took us a LONG time to get to be good friends. And I have a sister who is 6 years younger than me and it took us a LONG time to get to be friends. My mom always said "one day you will live far away from each other and will miss each other" we thought, yeah right! But it's true!

Rowboat said...

your sister is so cute. you guys are lucky to have each other. sisters are the best friends, forever.

Victoria Gilbert said...

awwww how sweet :)

the cupcakes turned out really cute!! I clicked on the pic so I could see them up close how you did that. that must have taken you forever!
I bet Linds loved them! :)