Friday, November 7, 2008

Black Bean Brownie Results!

Believe it or not the brownies actually looked like brownies in the morning.

They smelt like them, but the consistency was a little different.

They were a little more sticky and a lot more smooth (is that the correct way to say that?)


I held true and didn't try any until my class did.

Everyone seemed a bit reluctant but tried them anyway.

I got a few different reactions:

"I can taste the beans!"

"Mmm, these taste good."

"There's a funky aftertaste"

"I just can't do it!"


I tried them and I was pleasantly surprised. They didn't taste so bad! Mind you, they aren't the yummy sugary, fatty, oily, chocolate chipy infested yummy brownies we all know and love. But for the main ingredient being black beans they were really good. I personally could only taste the black beans if I thought about it and tried to taste them. And I have really good taste buds. :)

Jaren tried them and liked them. I think the rest will get eaten. Maybe I'll make them someday. I kind of wish I didn't let them know the recipe before they tried it. I would love to see someone try them thinking they were normal brownies.

So. I leave you with this: Here is the recipe. Make it if you wish. BUT, please feed them to someone and don't tell them what they are made out of and see if they can tell the difference. Then let me know!



Black-Bean Brownies

Makes 21 servings (each serving is three 1" squares)

Ingredients
1 can black beans (13–15 ounces), rinsed well
4 eggs
1 cup sugar substitute
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
Chopped nuts (optional)

Instructions
Spray an 8" x 8" brownie pan with nonstick cooking spray. Blend all ingredients (except nuts) in a blender until smooth. Transfer the batter into a mixing bowl and fold in nuts (if desired). Then, pour the batter into the prepared brownie pan. Bake at 350°F for approx 30 minutes, until set in middle. Enjoy!

Nutritional information
52 calories
3 g total fat (1 g sat)
40 mg cholesterol
2 g protein
1 g fiber
110 mg sodium

24 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Yeah, I won't be making these, but I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Jillene said...

So Awesome!! I think that I might have to try these!! Thanks for sharing!

Oh yeah--thanks for the comment today on my blog!! You really almost made me cry!! You are such a sweetheart and I really hope you come down the weekend before Thanksgiving!!

Dads(2) said...

Fabulous--ewwww! To healthy for me, my body would retaliate!

Jo said...

You are so nice to share the recipe. I might even try them someday. Maybe.

Whitney R said...

I will be very impressed of those who try it!

Come onnn, I know ya want to!

Aren't you at all curious?

Even a little?

*MARY* said...

Did you eat some of the batter?
Are the beans working their magic? You know, toot wise?

Cajoh said...

Sounds like you're a Supertaster if you can discern the beans so well. Then of course you are probably just a brownie aficionado.

Ashley Outnumbered said...

I would have totally tried them....and eaten the whole pan. As you know. Food in front of me = food in my belly.

Glad you seem to be feeling better. It's probably the magical bean brownies.

For some reason I don't think we'll be seeing pics on your blog of you eating bean infested brownie batter. :) Just sayin'.

Aquaspce said...

I totally wouldn't have told them what they were eating... unless it was meat related (which, beans while protein are not meat) Because I don't like a lot of meat, although, I did make a bargain which ended in me eating ostrich... once.

Whitney R said...

Mary - yes.... I've noticed a difference. and no, I did not eat any of the batter :)

Ashley - you are correct... I wont be eating any black bean brownie batter. I'll divulge in the real stuff seeing as it only happens a few times a year

Abra - did it taste good?

Brigitte said...

I'm really curious how these taste! And yet I'm really lazy and HATE cooking. If I come to the meet and greet would you bring me some black bean brownies instead of potatoes?

I really want to try them.... but only if someone else puts forth all the effort and makes them.

Lee said...

Hmm.. I might make these and feed them to someone without letting them know what they are.
I won't be trying them. It's kind of like a mind over matter thing. You know they're beans, so... well, maybe I will try them. It all depends on how they smell.

rychelle said...

i was going to ask if these had a "bean effect", but mary beat me to it....

also, i love the new background, but the grey text is a little hard to see......

Jules AF said...

yuuummmm chocolate. I'm going to go buy a doughnut right now.

Jules AF said...

Oh and if you come down the weekend before Thanksgiving, NO LUNCH ON SATURDAY!!!! My dad will be in town, and it's the U/BYU game, so that'll be crazy. So yeah. That Friday night, YES. Or lunch on Sunday.... Not that I'd go out to eat or anything....

Wendyburd1 said...

Yeah I'm gonna go with no, won't be making them...plus hello!! I use mixes, most fudgey ones I can find!!

P.S. Hard to read your post, need to change your font color with this background...just my opinion!!

Katie said...

Yeah...not sure I'm gonna try this one. I think I'll stick to the good ol' Betty Crocker boxes. But you never know...one day I might have nothing to do and I'll think to myself that black bean brownies sound so darn good...

Then again, maybe not.

Me said...

Those look good Whitney!! I will definitely have to try them! I was just reading my friend Scooby's blog and noticed that you know her too!! How do you know Scooby? She is the cutest!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked them!!!

It was a one time experience for me!

Ann Harrison said...

Hi!
I found you via "The Folsom-Taylor Clan".
I wasn't so sure about this recipe, but if you say you liked them, um, well, I just might try it.
(I wonder what my girls will say?)

Kayleigh said...

Haha, I should try it for a "linger longer" for my ward. That would be funny.

Anonymous said...

I think I will give these a try. I have to say that the taste of the Splenda makes me much more nervous than the black beans, Thanks for all the nutrient info, I can figure out the Points on them!

Kristal said...

I think I'll try them on hubby and kids tomorrow! Gotta go get the sugar substitute, though. I hate Splenda. Everytime I use it there's an aftertaste. Do you notice that? Maybe I'll use real sugar.

I love the new background, it's one of my faves at CBOTB. I used to use it but got too many complaints from my mother about her old eyes not being able to see the type...oh well, now I get to see it here!

Christa said...

I think that I will try making these. It's not like they're going to kill me.