Thursday, April 29, 2010

Life Lately

The last month has been really busy and full of surprises!  I have a lot of different emotions about it all. 

We took our first trip as a family to Utah at the first of the month.  I was a little nervous about traveling with a baby as she has only ever really been home.  She has an amazing schedule and I didn't know how it would fare with dragging her around all over the place.  But, even though some of her naps were cut short and she was awake a little longer than she was comfortable she did amazing.  She slept really well in the hotel.  We had to set the pack-n-play up in the bathroom so she was in a room by herself.  Thank heavens Jaren's mom and sister were staying across the hall.  We used their bathroom a few times since Naomi goes to bed around 7. 

We came home Sunday and a few days later my family came for Lindsey's wedding.  I had a full house with a brother, his wife and three kids staying at my house as well as Lindsey and her best friend Mackenzie.  Then during the days my Mom, Dad, two other brothers, their wives and kids (3 total), Lindsey, Nate (fiance, now husband), and some other family members that came were here.  I loved it.  I really did.  I loved having my family around and I was grateful that I lived there and could provide a place for everyone to gather.  The only thing that was a little hard was that Naomi would go to bed at 7 upstairs and just down the hall from the kitchen/dining room.  So, I was probably the  most annoying person shhhushing my family when they were in the Kitchen.  But I didn't care how loud they were in my basement or front room.  :)

We tried to have family pictures taken on a very windy cold day.  I am excited to see how they turned out.  I am supposed to be getting them in the mail any day now.  It was Naomi's first real experience with the outdoors and I can't say she was too excited about it.  She did really good and didn't cry at all.  Just freaked out when the wind blew in her face like she couldn't breathe.  Poor girl.

Lindsey's wedding was beautiful and amazing.  The day was really busy.  That night we were woken up a few times by Naomi not being able to breathe.  So, that morning I ran into the doctor and was able to get a decongestant for her.  This was her second cold of her life.  The first lasting a month (starting when she was 2 months old - so her entire 3rd month of life).  The decongestant really helped.  I was able to get Lindsey's hair done just in the nick of time - she left my house 10 minutes later than she had wanted.  But wasn't late to the Temple.

After the sealing, which was beautiful and I didn't even cry!  Well, until I  hugged her afterwards.  I still think I'm hormonal from having Naomi.....  at least that's my excuse.  I was going to wait in the waiting room with a curling iron to do her hair.  But then I thought.... maybe they will let me back.  And they did!  Usually when you are getting dressed only one person can be there with you, but since there weren't many other brides in the bridal room (only one other girl) I was able to go back!  It was really special being able to help her into her dress and fix up her hair.  She looked beautiful.  Amazing.  Stunning.

Everyone left the next day and Naomi started doing better Monday.  So, I left Tuesday night to go to Twin Falls to stay at my brothers.  Jaren drove me the 3 hours because I think he was a little sad to see us go.  His Dad happened to be there that day so he hitched a ride back with him.  The next day we drove home to Washington.  Naomi did really well in the car until the last 15 minutes of the 9 (I think it ended up being 9 hours) hour trip.

Again, her schedule was thrown off and she still did really well.  It was so nice and sunny and warm!  It was in the 70's the whole time and I took her outside in dresses.  I don't normally get to put her in dresses very often because it's so cold here.  And it's STILL cold here!  She loved being outside.  So much to look at!  We got to see more family and my she was able to meet my grandparents for the first time.  Their health is not so good so I'm glad they were able to meet her.  She also met my best friend, Chelsi and that was fun :)  I'm looking forward to her someday having a baby so I can spoil hers like shes spoiled mine.

Sunday she started coughing.  I thought she had cought another cold and since it was a virus, no antibiotics.  And I still had the decongestant so that was really helping her to be able to sleep.  We came home and she started to go back into her routine really well.  But then the cold turned into a really bad boogery mess with the coughing getting worse.  She was still eating really well.  Well, not really taking a bottle as nicely, but she was nursing better than she had in a long time!  Wednesday I made an appointment to take her into the doctor just to make sure she was okay or see if there was anything else we could do.  She wasn't sleeping well - AT ALL.  For naps or during the night.  Come to find she had a double ear infection and then whatever it was that was giving her the cold symptoms.  We were given some antibiotics - I chose different than the Amoxicillin because last time it gave her a bad stomach ache.  At least I'm pretty sure it did - since she can't exactly tell me.

Thursday I started to feel not so good.  My throat was raw and my body was getting achy and tired.  I figured I was getting what she had.  I think it was Friday that Naomi started refusing to nurse.  Or take a bottle.  Each day it got a little worse where she wouldn't take ANY.  Where before I could get her to latch for a few minutes.  And each day I felt worse.

The only way I could get anything in her was while she was sleeping.  She will stir a little and I go in and replace the pacifier with the bottle and she'll drink 3 to 4 ounces before she realizes what's going on and then she'll push it out.  I've been doing pedialyte and milk.  The poor thing had/has such a congested cough (it's getting better).  And she is so boogery!

I feel so bad she is feeling so horrible.  Especially since I'm  in the worst of it now and it's horrible.  My head is pounding and feels like it needs to explode.  My ears hurt, and my teeth are killing me.  I'm so stuffed and my throat is really bad at nights.  Jaren started getting symptoms about 3 or 4 days after me.  So we went in today and found out we have sinus infections and were given antibiotics.  I found out I could take Tylenol Cold and Sinus (YAY!) and that has seemed to help quite a bit.  Before I wasn't taking anything and can I just say I am so so so so grateful for drugs.  They make such a difference.

The hardest part of this, besides seeing my normally happy wonderful temperament baby become over tired, sad, fussy and weak is her not eating.  It has proven to be the most challenging and frustrating thing for me.  She is all out refusing to nurse, I'm having to pump and my milk is going down again.  A lot.  I've shed a lot of tears because she wont take a bottle either.  It's so hard to see hardly anything going in when she used to eat SO MUCH!  She is taking solids okay.  But not as much and I have to just keep spooning it in her mouth whenever she opens it.  It is taking about three times as long to feed her.  And I just sit and wait till I hear her stir in her sleep enough that she wakes up a little.  Then I jump up, heat up some milk/pedialyte and run in hoping to catch her before she falls all the way back to sleep and I cross my fingers she'll drink more than an ounce.

I don't think it helps that I'm really not feeling well either.  And she has diarrhea and we have been having to change her 2-3 times during the night, most times she poops out of her diaper and we have to change diaper, onsie and pajamas.  Then that wakes her up and it is the ONLY time she will nurse is in the middle of the night.  So I feed her and that winds her back down and then it takes her a while to fall back asleep.  And she wakes up crying a lot of the night and Jaren and I take turns getting up and putting the pacifier back in her mouth.  And I get up a few times to feed her.

In the most normal/healthy of circumstances I would just let her cry.  She is old enough she doesn't need fed during the night and she can learn to put herself back to sleep.  But, because she isn't eating and I know her ears/tummy/head/throat/everything hurts I can't let her cry.  So, this has been going on now for a week and a half and it's taxing.  I'm in need of rest and am lacking energy.  I'm trying to nap when she does, but the second she makes a noise I'm jumping up to get her some sort of liquid so she's not dehydrated.  It's seriously the only time she get's any liquid down is while she is sleeping.

It's been hard to see my sweet little girl not be herself.  Normally she laughs and smiles so easily at almost anything and everything I do.  But not now.  Only a few times a day she smiles and I am lucky to get her to laugh.  Each day I see that she has more energy and is playing and smiling a bit more.  Tonight I even got her to laugh a bit.  I can't wait for Sunday because that is the first day she is off her antibiotics and I'm hoping that will solve all of our eating problems.  I miss my happy baby.

I officially (even more than 4 months ago) hate hate hate that babies get sick so easily.  I don't regret trying to keep her inside this winter and not letting very many people touch her.  I keep getting, "but she is building antibodies!"  Yes, she has her entire life ahead of her to do that.  AND I'm breastfeeding so I'm giving her mine.  I don't think she needs to get sick so young just so she can build her immune system.  Yes, it's good that it is, but I'd rather it happen when she knows how to clear her throat and isn't choking on her own boogers.  When I can hold a tissues up to her nose and say, "blow" rather than hold her head down with her arms flailing and her screaming at the top of her lungs so I can suck out her boogers.

So, if you are around and your sniffling or coughing don't be offended when I don't let you hold her.  Or I don't let your kid play with her or her toys if they are showing signs of being a bit under the weather.  Call me anal, call me whatever the heck you want but I will do whatever I can to keep her happy and healthy for as long as I can.  Yeah, there will be a lot that will be out of my control.  That's fine.  But when there is something that can be done I will try.  Some colds aren't so bad.  The first one she had a few weeks ago wasn't bad.  Just congested, but still happy and had energy.  It's this last one, this giant infection that has me upset and turning into a crazy person.  Maybe it's because I'm sick too and sleep deprived.  Maybe it's because I'm home alone all day because Jaren is gone all day and doesn't come home till 30 minutes before we go to bed or later.  I'm a very social person who is lonley.  Maybe I'm just turning into an anal parent.  One I didn't want to be.  Whatever the reason.... maybe it will be better later.  In a week, a month when it's all over and I have my sweet girl back. Or maybe it's because I haven't been able to exercise in over a week and my half marathon is less than a month away and I am worried I wont be able to do it because I haven't been able to train properly *breath*.  Whew.  Long sentence.  I think it's all of these things making me crazy.  Oh, and I haven't been able to go outside because it's been cold and rainy/snowy/windy.  And I've not been outside much since September last year.

Either way.... it feels good to vent.  Here is another long post with my real feelings.  Last time I got some crap for my breast feeding post.  So, if you have nothing nice to say then don't say it all. 

Because I adore this sweet, happy, messy, smiling face.


The Boyce's said...

Look at that cute face! She's adorable! I'm sorry that you're all sick! Hopefully things look up for you really soon!

Alexis Treese said...

Yay!! One of my friends is blogging!! I miss you all but I know how it goes...Ive had my fair share of hiatuses. She is such a doll, I love a great messy face with a smile.
Lets hear it for the PACK AND PLAY IN THE BATHROOM! Woot Woot. That's always Ginger's personal hotel room too. nothing beats it. Man it sucks being a mom and being sick... The first time I got sick, i was all... Wait, Seriously... no sick day. No day off to recuperate. I feel like it takes twice as long to get better because you dont have the luxury of rest and TLC. And sick babies are so tough. (But I secretly love how cuddly they get).
Hope you feel better soon. like tomorrow!! And I hope the blogging bug bites you more :)

Anonymous said...

It's great!!..........................................

Ashley said...

Hey, I don't think your being anal at all by not letting sick people hold your baby. I think thats smart. If you think about it, at least with me if someone is sick and has a cough or cold or whatever I won't go near them and I won't let them near me. I have plenty of antibodies, but why should someone get sick if they don't have to? Why do people think you should expose your little helpless baby to their germs? I think your smart. Wow sorry that was so long, I just really hate getting sick and I HATE when people get me sick because they refuse to stay home kind of thing. Anyway I hope you all get feeling better!


chin up whit, it'll get better! aaaaaand even though it doesn't seem like it, summer is just around the corner...that should help! keep on trekkin'...xoxo

Wendyburd1 said...

WOW does she have your eyes Whit! What a cute imp! I am so sorry she has been so sick the poor thing, it sounds like you are all miserable! ((HUGS)) I hope Naomi gets better son! Did the doctor say anything about her not eating, is that normal?

Life as Ashley said...

I think the hardest thing about motherhood is dealing with a sick child. Especially a baby because it is a total guessing game about what is wrong. It's rough.

Hope you are all feeling better real soon!

LOVE that picture!

Jo said...

I can't believe anyone would go near a baby if they had a cold or anything! I would feel awful if I made a baby sick. It is hard when kids get sick and babies you really worry about. Good trick getting her to take some milk and pedilyte!

Anonymous said...

台灣性樂園台灣色情論壇三點全裸台灣成人色情網色情站美女脫胸罩愛愛圖片台灣色情成人網站辣妹妹影音視訊聊天室情色區g罩杯美女av性愛女生自慰圖成人交友網站色情區丁字褲貼圖成人視訊聊天hi sex台灣十八成人丁字褲自拍太太陰毛火辣美眉成人色情圖片網視訊打槍美女聊天一夜激情一夜情聊天網成人聊天網激情成人聊天室上床圖片火辣情色辣妹聊天美女色情情趣丁字褲亞洲情色論壇情色天空三點全露內衣秀台灣色情網站成人裸照av成人論壇成人文學